Saturday, April 26, 2014

Hour 9 Mini Challenge: On Food and Books

Hosted by A Girl That Likes Books:

I'll share my recipe for Slow Cooker Black-Eyed Pea Stew inspired by the kind of books I knew I'd be reading through today.  I've got a couple fantasy and historical romance books in my stack for today, and these kinds of books always seem to have at least one scene where the characters are sitting around a fire, sharing a hearty stew. These scenes always make me hungry, so I threw the ingredients for a "hearty stew" in the crock pot this morning and have been merely eating bowlfuls all day long!

Slow Cooker Black-Eyed Pea Stew

In a slow cooker, combine:

1 lb dried black-eyed peas
6 cups of water
1 veggie bouillon cube
3 stalks of celery, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
6-8 pieces of bacon (I used half a package), cut into 1 inch pieces

Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 3-4 hours or until peas are soft. Check your water levels at hour 3 - you might need to add another cup or two.


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm Bacon!. Thanks for participating in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete